Thursday, October 22, 2009

Turning over a new leaf

As I was going through our budget recently and checking back over the bank statements I was floored with how often we have made trips through the drive through in the last month or two. I have no idea how that happened. Not long ago we NEVER ate fast food and now the girls and I are going 4 or 5 days a week (sometimes more)! When I think of the money spent and all the crap that has gone through our bodies in that time, well I'm a bit nauseous thinking about it.

So no more, I am putting us on a 30 day challenge. We will not be eating out, at all, for the next 30 days. Starting tomorrow and ending November 21. I think that's 30 days at least, it's been a long day! There will be one exception and that will be for the husband's birthday when we usually go out with the extended family. I doubt I can talk them all into staying in.

So we will be eating at home for every meal and snack, on a budget and as healthy as possible. I will post my weekly (or maybe daily if I really turn around on this blogging thing) menu as well as my grocery list and amount spent every 2 weeks (how often we shop) and I'm hoping for a big turn around both in our pocket books and the way we feel. Stay tuned to see if we are big fat cheaters!
draft

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! (I found your site through TMs) And maybe it will help you stick with it to not forget it's a "green" decision too! Animal agriculture takes such a toll on the planet--growing the corn, methane "emissions" from the cows ;), trucking fuel, etc. Buying local and cooking at home helps the planet, our health, and our wallets! Eating out can be good too, IF we find small/local restaurants who have seasonal menus and use local produce! Here's an article along those lines: http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/may/13/downtown-partnership-working-to-link-markets-farme/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your 30 days. I've noticed our fast food trips becoming more frequent also and I have been hoping challenge myself and family to cut out the fast food during the Month of November.

    (your blog was found through TM)

    ReplyDelete